It’s time for the BEST READS OF THE YEAR awards!
1) These are all books I read for the first time in 2012, though they were not necessarily published in 2012.
2) Books that aren’t coming out until 2013 are not eligible, even if I read them this year.
3) Books are listed in no particular order. It was hard enough to choose a top five in many categories… there’s no way I can RANK them. *pulls out hair*
4) I am not allowed to choose more than five books per category, though I can choose fewer, if I didn’t read enough things I loved enough to merit an award. Because I am like the Pulitzer committee.
5) Books may receive more than one award if they deserve it.
BEST YOUNG ADULT:
The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein
The Crown of Embers, Rae Carson
The Disenchantments, Nina Lacour
The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
BEST MIDDLE GRADE:
Liesl and Po, Lauren Oliver
Liar and Spy, Rebecca Stead
Wonder, R. J. Palacio
Son, Lois Lowry
The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls, Claire Legrand
BEST ADULT FICTION:
Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
Children and Fire, Ursula Hegi
The Age of Miracles, Karen Thompson Walker
Heft, Liz Moore
Wild, Cheryl Strayed
Let’s Pretend this Never Happened, Jenny Lawson
Steal Like an Artist, Austin Kleon
BEST SHORT FICTION:
Birds of a Lesser Paradise, Megan Mayhew Bergman
Drinking Coffee Elsewhere, Z.Z. Packer
And now for some more specific awards:
THE TEARJERKER AWARD: The Fault in Our Stars, John Green—when I finished, there was a moat of tissues surrounding my armchair. I think I cried more at this book than I did at the season 5 finale of Six Feet Under, and THAT, my friends, is a feat.
THE CLIFFHANGER AWARD: The Crown of Embers, Rae Carson. I am dying for The Bitter Kingdom. DYING. Though in a way I’m afraid to read it, because I’m terrified Rae is going to kill off my favorite character. DON’T DO IT, CARSON. PLEASE DON’T DO IT.
THE GORGEOUS COVER AWARD: Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo; The Peculiar, Stefan Bachmann; The Great Unexpected, Sharon Creech.
THE MOST SATISFYING RE-READ AWARD: I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith and Jellicoe Road, Melina Marchetta. Somehow, these books seem to be getting BETTER as I read them over and over.
THE LAUGH-OUT-LOUD-ON-THE-SUBWAY AWARD: Remarkable, Lizzie K. Foley
BEST BOOK WITH MULTIPLE NARRATORS: The List, Siobhan Vivian
BEST BOOK WITH ILLUSTRATIONS: The Broken Lands, Kate Milford
THE “HOLY CRAP, I WISH I COULD WRITE SENTENCES LIKE THAT” AWARD: Breadcrumbs, Anne Ursu and The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
And, okay, I know this is a 2012 list, but I can’t resist. Here are some 2013 debuts you are going to freaking LOVE, all of which I had the privilege of reading this year:
Better Nate Than Ever, Tim Federle (Feb 5, 2013)
The Art of Wishing, Lindsay Ribar (March 21, 2013)
The Wig in the Window, Kristen Kittscher (June 18, 2013)
OCD Love Story, Corey Ann Haydu (July 23, 2013)
Magic Marks the Spot, Caroline Carlson (September 9, 2013)
Happy reading in 2013, friends! Tell me your favorite books of the year in comments!